Monday, January 31, 2011

Exercising that cerebellum

A week ago I hosted my first Cheese Class: Cheese 101! This introductory class is one that I plan to host repeatedly as it covers the basics of cheese history, different milk types and their characteristics, ageing processes, and then a whole lotta cheese tasting.

I have a really difficult time narrowing down my selection when choosing cheeses for an event, and this was no exception. I decided to limit the very large plate to 14 cheeses that would cover seven basic styles of cheese: fresh, soft-ripened (cow/sheep), soft ripened (goat), washed rind, semi-firm, firm, and blue. For each type I chose one classic European cheese and one domestic, so people could taste an example of one cheese steeped in history and tradition, and then see what some of our amazing American cheesemakers are doing in the same style.

In general, the sold out crowd seemed to love it and I got a ton of wonderful feedback from everyone. But you don't have to take my word for it, two attendees wrote very lovely blog posts about the event, so big thanks to Judith Ramey and Leah of Taking Root.

I'll be planning some extra special tasting events with fellow curd nerds that will focus on specific cheese selections by type or origin, and in the meantime keep your eyes peeled for more Cheese 101 sessions!

Cheese 101 Sunday February 13th 4:00-6:00 p.m.
Please call the shop at 206.467.5447 to reserve your seat!

3 comments:

  1. I was at the event, and it was great. The selection of cheeses was well chosen, moving from the soft/mild to the rad pow of two blue cheeses. I wholeheartedly recommend everyone reading this to take this course, or any other, when next offered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just learned of the class. I can't attend on the 13th, but I would love to in the near future! Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for the next one! We are adding to black sheep creamery lambs to our little farm this spring and I am dying to learn more about cheese!

    ReplyDelete