Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sneak Peek

I'm fully in the eye of the hurricane right now, every day is exhausting and wearing me out, but I am trying to remain calm, and am incredibly happy that so much tangible progress is being made. The space is starting to take form, and I'm documenting it along the way.

I'm definitely in an interesting position during the build out of this space. All the other tenants are working with many of the same designers, architects, and contractors, meaning that they have a whole dialogue I'm not necessarily privy to. This doesn't bother me in the least, having worked with contractors in Brooklyn, who are to say at the very least, some of the most difficult and obstinate human beings on earth. Still, it's a bit of struggle me being the sole tenant in this marketspace who is acting as her own project manager.

Which brings me to a point that I never knew I'd want to iterate to other hopeful cheesemongers who may be reading this. Simply put, if you can't manage your own build-out, then you best reconsider your ability to manage a business of any sort, cheese shop or otherwise. I wouldn't feel like this was my space if I didn't put a lot of my own blood, sweat and tears into it. It is truly a labor of love from the get-go; if you have the means to hire a team to make it all happen for you then by gods do it, because it is a bitch and a half. But it you're like me, you're saving every penny you can to stock those deli cases full of delectable curds and making up for it my burning the midnight oil on your own.

I'll see you on the other side of the epoxy. Queso por vida!

2 comments:

  1. Open already! I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so excited to come and see the new shop... my friend katherine told me about you... will be over soon! congratulations i know how hard it is... and stressful and $$$$ i opened my business 6 years ago... look forward to meeting you...

    ReplyDelete